.NET 4

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:23 PM
Hi, I would like to use the wpf webbrowser in a .Net4 project. I try to convert it but Visual 2010 tell me that .vcproj (use with Cjc.AwesomiumWrapper project) is no more supported by MSBuilder. Is it possible to use your webbrowser with .NET4 framework ? and if yes, how do I do to do it ? Did you think that, if the conversion. NET4 goes well the webbrowser will work with touch ? ths, Olivier
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Olivier – I’ve mostly converted it to .NET4 already, but have a couple issues to iron out before I publish. Adding some touch functionality is certainly an option; I’ll look into it :)

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:39 PM
Greaaat ! :D (and thx for your quick answer) I'm really looking forward to test it. Have you any idea when you could put it online?
Jun 21, 2010 at 1:11 PM
Bump. I'm having the same issues and I'd love to get chromium working. Any update? Cheers. Nic.
Jun 22, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Bump. me too.

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:32 AM

If you simply remove and re-add the reference to Cjs.AwsomiumWrapper, it will fix this error.... although I don't know what other errors you might have :(

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:51 AM
True, it has corrected the problem of compatibility, but other problems arise in runtime, in particular a memory error ("AccessViolationException") when calling the Initialize method of WebCore. But ok, if BobStrogg is already working on these errors, he is more capable than me to correct them.
Coordinator
Jun 29, 2010 at 7:11 PM
Edited Jun 29, 2010 at 7:13 PM

ikit - I certainly don't claim to be capable :)  The access violation is the same thing I've been hitting, but only in debug builds targeting .NET 3.5.  With release build, or targeting .NET 4 it appears fine (although I suspect the bug is there in all cases, just masked).  Time & patience permitting, I'm hoping to have this figured out in the next couple of days.  Suggestions & help always welcome :)

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:40 PM
Edited Jul 1, 2010 at 4:56 PM
BobStrogg - :D ok, I say that because I do not know anything in c++ / cli and don't understand this story of MarshalString Error ... I will unfortunately not be able to help you on this issue
Jul 10, 2010 at 6:09 AM

I am running into the same thing, only I see the access violation doing a release build as well. What really kills me is that I can build, debug, and run it just fine with this example: http://sachabarber.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Browser.zip but no matter how I try I can't reproduce it in my own project. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your update, BogStrogg. This is an excellent project -
thanks for the great work!

Jul 10, 2010 at 7:39 AM

Any news on this @BobStrogg? ... I'd like to implement it but at this stage, no luck. Cheers. Nic.

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2010 at 5:38 AM
Edited Jul 12, 2010 at 5:44 AM

Added preview of changes for Awesomium 1.6 beta to the Downloads page (http://wpfchromium.codeplex.com/releases/view/48783)...  Note there are numerous issue still, so don't rely on this stuff yet (it's progressing though, but apologies for slow pace).

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Ok; it turns out I was just being incredibly stupid :)  I (fairly obviously now) had mismatched debug & release versions of the Awesomium binaries.  I'll get on the final bugs and will have this published again very soon.  Sorry for the inconvenience folks :)

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:19 AM

awesome! thank you!

Coordinator
Jul 13, 2010 at 6:26 AM

Current status is the v3.5 works mostly ok, except for the known issues listed.  The scrolling artifacts were confirmed as an Awesomium 1.6 bug (the fix will be in 1.6 RC1, but not sure when that'll surface yet).  Someone else is looking at the .NET 4.0 issue, and will hopefully have that fixed soon :)

Jul 16, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Hi, BobStrogg (sorry for misspelling your name before!)

I have been trying to get Chromium working in my project for a couple weeks now, and I am guessing that what I need is a .NET 4 build of the DLLs, even though I can get it working separately in a project based on the sample I linked before. Anyway, I'm about to undertake a major hack to get around this issue sans Chromium :( You can read about my plight on my blog.

I was just wonder if, given the info in my post, do you think my issue is going to be resolved in the .NET 4 fix you mention that is coming, and if so  -- does it still look like it would be available soon? I don't fully understand how it is that I can get it working in isolation but not in my project :/

Coordinator
Jul 16, 2010 at 8:59 PM

subcreation – I’m hoping to have the .NET 4.0 version ready in the next couple of days, although it'll still have the "scrolling artifacts" problem until Awesomium 1.6 RC1 is released.  The hack mentioned on your blog sounds bad for your health…  Hopefully it won't come to that!

Chris

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Great - thanks, Chris! I'll wait for the update then. I haven't seen those artifacts, but I expect they aren't a big deal -- they certainly don't matter compared to the tremendous shortcomings of the WebBrowser included with WPF. Thanks so much for your work on this!

Coordinator
Jul 16, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Actually "artifact" might not do it justice...  Basically every time you scroll in any direction, you're left with a 21 pixel thick chunk on the opposite side that doesn't move.  It's possible to ignore it, but it's still irritating :)

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Time for an update...  Now works with .NET 4, although the Cjc.AwesomiumWrapper assembly needs to remain .NET 3.5 (best I can tell, because the current Awesomium is built against VS2008 [v90 toolset]; if Cjc.AwesomiumWrapper is built against .NET4 (v100 toolset) it's effectively forcing Awesomium to use incompatible C++ libraries...  I'm pretty happy to ignore it from here, but please shout out if there's a better explanation :] ).

I'm still waiting for the scroll artifacts (getDirtyRect) bug to be resolved in Awesomium.  I'll attempt to fix the new flicker bug (related to a change in how Awesomium renders to the buffer) and hopefully have an update ready later today.

Coordinator
Jul 23, 2010 at 7:24 AM

Updated preview now available here.

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Hi, Chris. Thanks for the update. Any tips on how to build it? I don't see an SLN in there and my attempts to build each of the projects individually fail. It seems the references to the AwesomiumWrapper and the ChromiumBrowserDemo are broken (and I can't find any DLL's in any of the project folders):

Warning 4 The referenced component 'Cjc.ChromiumBrowser' could not be found. Warning 5 The referenced component 'Cjc.AwesomiumWrapper' could not be found.

Warning 5 The referenced component 'Cjc.AwesomiumWrapper' could not be found.

The ChromiumBrowser project has the same error for the AwesomiumWrapper and the AwesomiumWrapper fails with this error:

Error 1 error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'WebCore.h': No such file or directory c:\users\natrob.redmond\downloads\cjc.chromiumbrowserdemo (1)\cjc.awesomiumwrapper\Cjc.AwesomiumWrapper.h 12 1 Cjc.AwesomiumWrapper

Any help with this is deeply appreciated :)

Coordinator
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:19 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Try a folder layout like this…:

Root

Awesomium

include

lib

Cjc.AwesomiumWrapper

Cjc.ChromiumBrowser

Cjc.ChromiumBrowserDemo

Get the latest 1.6 beta of awesomium and put all inside the Awesomium folder.  There’s a post-build step in the Cjc.ChromiumBrowserDemo to copy the Awesomium binaries (whether release or debug build) into the output folder.

Let me know if this helps!

Coordinator
Jul 25, 2010 at 6:15 AM

Added .NET 3.5 version of project (still using Awesomium 1.6 beta).  Get the source here.

You can get the latest Awesomium source from here (under "Experimental builds").  Ensure the folder structure matches my previous comment (above).